05-03-2020, 08:32 PM   #322
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
I recently bought 4 Reolink RLC-520 cams (5 MP, turret, PoE) for $34 each and am quite happy with them.

- The resolution is 2560 x 1920 which is 4:3 so it is not 16:9 widescreen, but it gives you a wider vertical angle. The 4 MP cams are 2560 x 1440 which is 16:9 but then you lose some viewing angle from the top and bottom.

- For the PoE wiring, I used flat Ethernet cables that can fit under window frames, and along the walls with adhesive clips. I also used an Ethernet line splitter to run 2 cams over 1 cable for 1 location. My house has structured Ethernet wiring running back to a central wiring closet.

- I record 24/7 to a QNAP NAS with QVR Pro. The bitrate per camera is around 8 Mbps during the daytime and 2.5 Mbps at nighttime (black and white night vision and frame rate drops to 12 fps). So around 50 GB/day per camera. I record to a 4 TB hard drive so that's enough for over 2 weeks for 4 cams.
Went back and forth on 4MP vs 5MP vs 4K and ultimately decided that for my needs the 4MP is good. We’ll see how that pans out. I’m adding a Ring floodlight in the front and center above the garage to watch the driveway and motion detection. The two Reolink cameras will be mounted next to it with one that has zoom function for license plates. Backyard we have a few spotlights with notification and video recording. Between those things I feel pretty good. No need for other wireless, battery operated cameras. I mean, if someone was to break in with all that in place then there’s really not much else we can do (although we do have cameras inside as well).
Appreciate 0