03-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #18
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
No, it was prompted by a story I had read the day before at work about food banks possibly taking up the slack for the lack of school lunches for kids. We already contribute monthly to our local food bank as well as larger periodic contributions. I just mentioned to her that we should increase the automatic monthly contribution for a while until this subsides. It was maybe 10 minutes later that she saw that ad about food banks.

That said, we've tried in the past to test whether it's listening by talking about something we'd never normally discuss, like backyard kiddie pools or something. We've never "caught it in the act," as it were.
Occam's razor. Has FB developed amazing speech recognition software (when siri can't understand half of what I saw) it's running secretly on everyone's phone without anyone finding out. None of the thousands of employees that work there have come out. No hackers have compromised FB and found the huge database of recorded conversations.

Or you wen't on some food bank related site, read some food bank related story or really did anything related to food banks or donating on any of your computers or phone without really thinking about it at all. After all it's something you were both thinking about before you had this conversation. And that's why you are being targeted. I'm not saying the first option is not possible, just highly unlikely considering the alternative.

BTW as for the kiddie pool, there may simply be no one paying FB to advertise kiddie pool, so I would keep trying.
Appreciate 0