View Single Post
      03-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

So glad I got my Z4 - ceramic coating and PPF pics inside

Going back 2 months now, I walked into the local BMW dealership looking to test drive an X3 M. I really wanted a vehicle with a sunroof because my Golf R doesn't have that. And I love driving with open air, especially in the evenings and night. I test drove the X3 M and didn't like the heavy steering which made it feel like I was constantly fighting the tramlining effect of the tires on the road. I also didn't like the looks, rather bland and generic suv style with nothing that stood out.

I fell in love with an M850i on the dealership floor room, but the price was a bit too steep ($144K Cdn) and the coupes have carbon fiber roofs an no sunroof. To get a sunroof, I would have to get a grand touring model (4 doors) which I don't need or want. I did not give the cabriolet a thought at this time.

There was also a Z4 in the showroom in frozen grey. I was never a fan of previous generation Z styling, but this new one really caught my eye. I loved the interior, the seats and other simple features like the wireless charging. I was allowed to test drive it and while I didn't get a good enough impression of the car at the time, at least I knew it didn't have the same steering feel in the X3 M that I didn't like. I also decided I wanted white, with the magma red interior, all options, black rims and trim. As luck would have it, one was found at another dealership exactly as I wanted so it was shipped in.

I really like the new C8 Vette and I maybe would have bought one of those instead, but I realized I was never going to get one because they are all pre-sold. I didn't give it much thought really and there was no 'settling' on the Z4. I bought it because I wanted to enjoy life a bit and I told people that you never know what the future holds so we have to enjoy life while we can. Who knew that a few weeks later after taking delivery that the entire world is in a crisis.

I went out for a bit of a drive today, nowhere in particular, just enjoying a sunny day and +6c temperature. Driving just for the sake of driving and feeling really happy in my car and forgetting for a short period about all the bad that is going on right now. I don't think there's harm in that, but perhaps curfews and house arrest for everyone could eventually come? If worse comes to worse I will sit in my car in the garage and dream of driving on a warm day with the top down. I'll do that in winter anyway

I'm glad I have my Z4 and even though it was an expensive purchase, it's one of those things where it just seemed like fate where everything fell into place like it did and I got the car. I wasn't planning on buying a car this spring... but... well here I am.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 03-23-2020 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 8
SakhirM410783.00
pukeko28.00
JustChris17426.00
ToysArs60.50
joca107.50
matmanx1101.50