03-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #99
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Because it's an expense that is for many a required expense. Can't really cut back on the amount of driving because you have to drive to work, go to the grocery store, see a doctor, etc. If that expense goes up, it affects other parts of a person's/family's budget. And with many people on the edge already with their budgets any increase in one expense can have a pretty profound negative affect overall.

For me, I'm fortunate as much of my transportation costs are covered by my company in mileage reimbursements. The vast majority of workers don't have this perk.
But many people who are so sensitive to fuel costs can choose to buy more fuel efficient cars like a used Prius instead of gas slurping SUVs and some can even take public transportation. I recognize that is not always possible, but I think it is possible for many.

I also recognize $8 would be an extreme change for a lot of people but $2 vs. $3 or even $4 shouldn’t be an enormous burden relative to other costs of owning a car, such as the cost of the vehicle, insurance, and repairs / maintenance. If it is then a surprise car repair or auto insurance hike is also going to unmanageable.