youthsonic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i XDrive

Garage List
Rant about my in-laws’ materialistic friend

Hey everyone!

My in-laws recently visited a friend of theirs who retired not long ago with what I presume to be quite a bit of retirement savings. This friend relocated, bought a huge house, and owns a BMW SUV (not sure which one, as I have never seen it, and my inlaws couldn’t give two shits about cars, really). Anyway, it came up in discussion that I was shopping for a new BMW, and this friend was asking my father in law, "Ooh, which one?!?" so he found my FB post about getting a new 330i xDrive and showed it to this person. Their response? "Oh, that's just the low end model. Guess he couldn't afford a real one."

FFS - I drive a 3-series because I LIKE the 3-series! This one is my 3rd. I don't really ever see myself leaving the 3's! I like the smaller cars, but I have a family, need 4 doors (as my wife drives a 370z), and my kid is 6'3", so I needed something with more headroom and legroom in the rear. I also specifically chose NOT to get a M340i, as I'll be getting an German-delivery M3 after my kiddo leaves for college in 3-4 years - and if I am going to own an M, I'd rather have an M vs an M-Sport, if that makes sense. The 5's kind of appeal to me, but after test-driving one a few weeks ago I stuck with the 3-series. They just seem more sporty, more agile, etc. The 7's and 8's are nice, just not practical for my needs right now in my life. I strongly considered a 2016 i8 (stupid impractical), and a 5 year old Aston Martin Rapide as they had them at the dealership I was at, but I really just wanted a new car under warranty. Also: I work from home, so I really don't get to get out and stretch the legs of a super fast car right now.

It's not about what I can or can't afford - I am lucky enough to essentially be able to afford any car I want within reason. I was in a situation where I needed to get a new car faster than I would have liked, so I didn't have time to custom order. So instead I set my own budget, looked around, test drove many cars, I CHOSE to drive 2 hours each way to BUY the 330i I have simply because it's the car I wanted. It had every package I wanted, and I LOVE the Blue Ridge Mountain metallic color more than I thought I would.

Anyway, some people are just asshats, I guess.

Last edited by youthsonic; 03-30-2020 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
A6bullet337.00
F32Fleet3571.50