View Single Post
      11-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #952
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I think by now we should've learned that BMW cares about two things: sales volume and halo cars. A small RWD 4 door car doesn't fit. I'm not saying 2GC is guaranteed to be FWD, only that there's no reason for it not to be.
Somewhat agree, but on the other hand you have the TT RS going on its second generation now, and it is proof that a critical mass of enthusiasts will accept a "FWD" high performance coupe/convertible too. Sure, the TT RS is a slightly different form factor compared to an M2, but there's no reason that Audi could not take the same platform and build a true four seat coupe/convertible like the M2. Indeed, Mercedes could do the same with their CLA45. Now we could debate whether the move to a two-door, four-seat (four real seats, Audi) coupe would be successful for either of them, but I think it's pretty clear that there exists some formula within all of this potential that could be made to work. As such, it is theoretically possible for BMW to explore and discover that formula.

So, the fact that BMW is keeping these two RWD - at a non-trivial cost premium vs. the would-be UKL equivalent, I think we can agree - suggests that they are at least not completely driven by profit alone. Maybe a 2GC doesn't have to be RWD, and maybe if it doesn't its because the M2 GC which would be based upon it, if it were to exist, wouldn't actually bring in more money even when there are obvious examples on the market in the form of the CLA45 and upcoming RS3 which are presumably profitable products. Maybe, in contrast to those two, BMW has calculated it would simply mean fewer M2 sales, and be a net zero (or net loss, even). Or something else like that - who knows?

Whatever the case, I think those enthusiasts who do want a high performance sedan (or four door coupe - whatever) that is smaller than the next generation M3 are going to start looking at other brands, FWD platform or not. The CLA45 isn't perfect (not even that great by some accounts), but the RS3 will be that much better, and the next generations of those will evolve and get even better still. Plus, in the meantime, who knows what sort of small, high performance, ~400hp and up, four-door performance cars will come along. If BMW really does intend to sit this out, I think that's an unfortunate no-show for this class. And in the long term, maybe another mis-step on their part.
Appreciate 1