09-17-2022, 12:52 PM   #18
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
According to the US census, there are 630,000 automotive service technicians and mechanics, and I'm guessing 5 times as many hobbyist like myself are qualified and capable of servicing their own cars.

I think you missed the point, batteries wear out like tires. Engines can be maintained and wear parts can be individually addressed. You get a bad cluster of cells in your EV battery? Whole new battery. Get a leaky oil pan gasket? you can replace just that.

These batteries are an all or nothing failure, and there is no service procedure. there are also few that even know how to work on them or with them because they aren't worked on, they are disposed of. The article in the OP even mentioned that Tesla doesn't check or monitor this stuff so you can't even prepare for it like you can for the maintenance schedule spelled out in ICE manuals.
You do realize tesla isn't the only car maker that produces EV's now right?

So if people want to nitpick what the OP has posted, you can then make your judgement on tesla as a brand, not so much EV.

There is a battery swap station in china already that can swap an ENTIRE BATTERY PACK in under 5 minutes. You literally drive over a section, similar to an oil change place, and everything is done from the bottom automatically.

The average life of a modern day engine doesn't last as long, especially when you take into account a direct injection engine. Have you ever opened up one with as little as 30k miles? The inside is caked with carbon deposits.

I would absolutely applaud an EV if the battery pack lasts 8 years vs a modern day ICE engine that is already destroyed with carbon deposits at 30k miles.

It seems that people are trying their best to brainwash themselves that EV can't work lol

News flash people, it WILL WORK, as you're already seeing it. There's minor flaws that will be addressed. You can be a fan of both EV and ICE. There is nothing wrong with that.

But might as well embrace EV, as they're coming strong and fast. (that's what she said)