cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Definitely true that a lot of stuff comes from China, Taiwan (soon to be China), Vietnam, Malaysia, et al.

There are ports in Vancouver, Seattle (and area), Portland, and others in CA besides the ones seemingly most impacted. Also can go through the Panama Canal to Texas ports or Florida, South Carolina, etc. which might make sense given the number of ships at anchor awaiting an opening at Los Angeles area ports. The WSJ article is a few weeks old now; today DeSantis said bring your freight to FL and we’ll get it on the road. https://www.wtvy.com/2021/10/08/flor...orts-are-open/

Something feels wrong about this - the story makes sense if all ports are impacted but not if just a few are - trucks and trains are needed at all ports for inbound freight. So if they are available at most ports but not a couple, it seems something else must be underlying this.
I did international transportation in my previous life years ago. In the 80s, the ships used to stop at all the ports on both the eastern and western seaboards. They built these mega ships and not all the ports could accommodate, plus they found it more cost effective to discharge all the containers in say NJ or LA and move the containers on the rail to the ultimate destination instead of hop scotching down the coast. Although the other ports are still operational, I don't know if they can accommodate the mega ships or have the space and equipment to handle the volume.
King Rudi13154.00
TiMSport12792.50