View Single Post
      10-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #160
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

perfect assisted storm.. contributed by number of parties.. covid certainly created backlogs due to excessive demand but not something that could not have been addressed.. for starters carriers pulled major capacity to bring back losses from 2020 and perfect opportunity to reel in profits on reasoning of "demand".. demand is/was always there and globalization had been in full swing for last 3+ decades.. in case of CA, there are plenty of truckers out there and trucks but when you pass laws in place to put owner operators out of biz you are bound to end up with more problems. 90% of truckers traditionally doing FCL moves out of LA/LGB terminals were owner/operated.. excessive clean truck requirements are other things hurting these providers, not to say i'm against clean truck rules but some requirements put in place are far fetched ideas that put the small guy out of business instantly.. i.e. requirements for electric trucks by 2030 and there isnt even an electric truck anywhere in sight.. let alone a proven one to be equivalent or better than of current ICE models.

And then the biggest issue of it all, the long shortman's issue and the mafia, i mean union that runs the show.. they are working snail speed and will continue to do so as long as they can.. their contact is mid next year so i'm sure hopes are high to let this run out as long as possible to assist with negotiations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrundke View Post
The list of reasons for the current situation is long, and it's also a perfect storm: shortage of trucks, of containers, drivers, storage space, rules and regulations, incompetence, and basic laws of physics. We can alleviate a lot of the pressure, but it's going to take a concerted effort by about two dozen different major stakeholders who drop the bullshit and who put people with actual experience and grit into decision making positions.

Some of the rules need to be relaxed, there needs to be a state of emergency declared by the State of California, some big payouts need to be made to people to return to work in warehouses, docks, trucks; We need to use the defense authorization act to build enough carriers and containers, we need to spread out the logistical bottlenecks in California which are hamstrung by the physical limits of the road system and traffic.

Some of this can be done within 14 days. Some of it will take several years. None of it will happen if we don't put tough, smart, driven individuals into decision making positions with authority to make things happen.

None of this is impossible, we simply lack the will as a people to make it right.