03-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #841
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSdriver View Post
Am I getting this right?
- the iX xDrive40 will make "more than 300hp" (320hp) with dual motors (this thread)
- the i4 eDrive40 will also make "more than 300hp but with a single motor (press release)

I'm assuming that the motors in the dual iX setup differ from the one in the single motor setup of the i4?
If not, power output in the iX xDrive40 is limited somehow and (some of) the hardware might be present to upgrade power to xDrive50 levels
There's something here that doesn't feel right to me either. This amount of power should be available out of a single modern motor, and there's this notable paragraph in the iX press release:
Quote:
In the BMW iX xDrive50, the drive system – which features one electric motor on the front axle and another at the rear axle – produces total output of over 370 kW/500 hp and enables acceleration of 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in under 5.0 seconds. The BMW iX xDrive40 has an output of more than 240 kW/300 hp, allowing it to sprint from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in a shade over 6.0 seconds.
Do you notice what's missing here? Exactly: any mention of the motor layout in the 40 similar to what they give for the 50.

So if in the end we learn that "xDrive40" and all other uses of "xdrive" for this model that I've seen elsewhere are just empty words, and it actually only has a single rear axle motor, I won't be surprised.
Appreciate 0