View Single Post
      09-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #5
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I'm not retired, but know a lot of retirees. Many of them say that they don't know how they ever found time to go to work now that they're retired! The never-ending honey-do lists, domestic duties if their spouse is still working, etc. Plus, I know more than a handful of people who croaked within 6 months of retiring, I theorize because they lost their reason to live when they gave up their jobs.

As someone else who robbed the proverbial cradle when I married my DW, let me throw in one other thing in case you didn't consider it yet. Women live longer than men. Since the DW is younger, she will probably need retirement funds long after you're looking at grass from the roots side. My thinking from the moment that I said "I do" is that I need to have about 10-15 years of extra retirement funds to take care of her needs after I'm gone. Given the historically short lifespan of males in my family, I will probably be dead before she is old enough to stop working and collect Social Security (if there will even be anything left to collect by then).

Long story short, if I cannot spend my retirement time traveling or doing things with my DW because she's still working, I might as well keep working and feeding our retirement account to make sure that she will be supported in her retirement. It seems to be my life sentence.....
M_Six16873.50
2000cs3496.50
3798j11368.50