View Single Post
      09-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #15
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
sygazelle has it right. My I retired a little over 4 1/2 years ago, my wife will likely retire next spring although she is the same age as me. I had a couple of jobs lined up that were related to my career but they didn't really work out. We'd purchased our current home just before retirement and I've been doing tons of work on it. But no rush like in the past where you tried to cram stuff in on the weekend or evenings. Now when I have a project I will take my time, work on it a few hours a day and then park it. I walk in town for at least an hour everyday, the dog loves it. My wife loves to cook so I didn't take over those duties but I have taken all the other chores as she has a demanding job. I can't believe almost 5 years have gone by already.

You cycle as you've talked about it a lot on the forum so you'll likely get more into that. I try to keep the routine of getting up at the same time, still early like when I worked. Coffee, read the news (although not so much right now, I'm getting sick of it) go for my walk, unless I'm working on a project. If I am I get after it in the morning and do my walk in the afternoon. You'll be fine.

Great additional advice. I forgot to mention that I've turned off the news since retirement. I'm still informed but I have news sources on the internet that keep me having to look at and endless stream of talking heads dispensing their daily dose of whatever blah blah blah the their particular network agenda is promoting. It is so much more relaxing.

Regarding cooking: I've stepped up offering to BBQ since its still "her" kitchen , but I do offer more to help prep when she's making something fancy or when we are having family or friends over.

The one thing that we do different since i retired is I take over the kitchen after we eat. She can leave the table and go do whatever she likes and stay out of my way. I clear the table, do the dishes, and scrub the stove, sink, and counter. This way, my wife can plan the most elegant meal and use every pot in the kitchen and not worry that she will have to clean it up. I'm getting some amazing meals out of this deal.
Appreciate 0