View Single Post
      09-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #20
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Lots of good insights in this thread.

I’m planning to retire early 2021. I went around a year ago and talked to my retired friends. To a person they all said retire as early as you can but stay active/involved.

It seems that if one wants to consult or get on a corporate board or be active at that level, it has to happen quickly (ideally before retirement this is set up). There is a shelf life on retirees getting gigs like that, and it isn’t very long.

But there are plenty of volunteer options, civic groups, and projects and hobbies to pick up. I grew up at the beach and loved to surf, will move back to a different beach and take up surfing again. I like to tinker on my cars and will be able to put more time into some of the bigger projects I just couldn’t get into while working. Both of those will involve local groups with similar interests, and helping others do the same. I also used to be really into R/C sailboats (I still have a 12 meter from 1982) and may restore my boat, update the radios and sail it a bit. I think the fun for me will be in the restoration, not the sailing. But all of these things lead to meeting interesting people.

And a daily long walk of the dog is definitely in the plan.

These are simple things I haven’t really been able to enjoy while fully committed to work. Add in some travel and time with the grandkids, and I think I’ll have a pretty full retirement.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615239.50