View Single Post
      10-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

Are you able to qualify on the TN-1 visa? I've heard that generally makes it far easier to move. I met quite a few Canadian immigrants working in LA who came through that channel

Figure out where your likely jobs are and go from there. Then check out average housing prices nearby. A single family home with space for 2 cars and pool in the west side of LA can run to obscene costs, 2M+ in the nice areas like Santa Monica, 1M in other good beach areas like Redondo Beach. San Diego is probably half or less than LA prices. Reduce prices a lot for condos, which would make more sense for a single guy. Finding a 1BR condo or apartment with 2 parking spots is not that easy in LA, especially in smaller buildings. Most apartments come bundled with one spot and you can rent a neighbor's garage parking spot. Very rarely, I've seen places listed with 2 bundled spots. Not as familiar with Miami real estate.

Career-wise, LA is likely to offer far better growth and opportunities. 2019 LA is about a lot more than Beach Boys, California Girls vibe though. You will still get some of that but it is more like urban hipster. LA weather is far better than Miami, Santa Monica is at 60-80F nearly year round and is not humid. Look up Mediterranean climate vs. humid tropical.

Not sure what you mean by Miami being more conservative while LA/San Diego being more open minded means. If you mean politically, LA is by far the most liberal, followed probably by Miami, then San Diego/Orange County being more conservative but definitely still are blue areas these days. I'd say all are quite culturally open-minded in that there aren't a ton of conservative Christians who look at you sideways if you are atheist, few people are likely to be anti-immigrant, etc.

The car scene is quite good in SoCal with plenty of well developed clubs and meets and track days and tuner scenes, but beyond that it may not yield you that much on a daily basis. South Florida likely also has this. Edit as it was mentioned: the driving roads, including the Angeles Crest Highway areas and Malibu mountains/canyons are unparalleled. There's a reason so many car magazines test cars in those areas. The weather allows you go to top down nearly whenever you want. If you mod a lot, CA has quite strict emissions laws especially the biannual smog checks after 6 years, while FL no longer has any emissions program. The CA government has steadily passed many laws making it harder to own and use cars, but usually money can alleviate this.

I'd say swing for LA first if your career allows. If space and lifestyle are a big deal shoot for San Diego instead. If you prioritize partying first and want a lower cost of living go to Miami.

Last edited by EstorilM240; 10-28-2019 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
Lucky1639.50