View Single Post
      02-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

The part about the solicitor and taking them to court is probably the best bet. Unfortunately, for someone unfamiliar with legal proceedings, gathering of evidence and automotive topics, they have to do this the hard way and have someone work on their behalf for these, as in a lawyer to represent, automotive technicians to summarize their findings with the car, etc. This is a big reason why you don't buy used unless you really know what you are doing OR you are buying something that is dead simple and easy to work on/fix for the dealers (like a Honda, etc.). Protecting yourself, being able to gather evidence and communicating with official correspondence should be a required class in school. Once you start running into these kinds of issues, you have to stop communicating by phone/person and do it all by letter/official correspondence. Once you start documenting the problems with a document-trail, it gets really hard for a company to not fulfill their commitment.

Also, **** happens with used cars. Given how many years old it is, 5, 10, 15, I have different expectations of the work that I am willing to perform myself or have done on the vehicle, because it may be necessary. That means I have to learn about the vehicle, what makes it tick, what the common problems are and how to address them, etc. Boost leaks for instance are usually caused by faulty/poor hose setups and clamps. Re-doing all of those clamps and hoses would be a good start. There are also methods to find leaks.