oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I currently own a 2018 Golf R and I think it feels like it's driving on rails because it doesn't wander or get blown all over the road by wind. It tracks straighter than any car I have ever owned and that's surprising since it's a small hatchback.

Last week I test drove an X3 M40i and I absolutely hated it. That 'on rails' feeling certainly wasn't there as this vehicle felt like it was constantly wandering because of the road. The steering has a dead spot in the middle where it's really loose and then it gets really tight after turning it more than a few degrees. It felt like I was fighting the steering as it kept wandering.

I looked at an M850i, but it's just too much money and the coupe has no sunroof.

My Golf R has no sunroof and I really miss having a more open air feeling when driving. I never considered a convertible, but then I began checking out the Z4 M40I. Why not go topless if I really want a touring 'fun' car I thought. I did briefly test drive a Z4 and it had some of the wandering feel of the X3, but not as bad. I don't remember if there was the same steering deadspot, but checking some reviews that still seems to exist on the car.

Skip to 4:35

What is up with this and why does BMW make the steering like this? Here I am waiting for a white Z4 M40i coming in from another dealer which I had planned on buying.. But that steering is giving me pause for concern.

What do you think of the steering on your z4?

Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I currently own a 2018 Golf R and I think it feels like it's driving on rails because it doesn't wander or get blown all over the road by wind. It tracks straighter than any car I have ever owned and that's surprising since it's a small hatchback.

Last week I test drove an X3 M40i and I absolutely hated it. That 'on rails' feeling certainly wasn't there as this vehicle felt like it was constantly wandering because of the road. The steering has a dead spot in the middle where it's really loose and then it gets really tight after turning it more than a few degrees. It felt like I was fighting the steering as it kept wandering.

I looked at an M850i, but it's just too much money and the coupe has no sunroof.

My Golf R has no sunroof and I really miss having a more open air feeling when driving. I never considered a convertible, but then I began checking out the Z4 M40I. Why not go topless if I really want a touring 'fun' car I thought. I did briefly test drive a Z4 and it had some of the wandering feel of the X3, but not as bad. I don't remember if there was the same steering deadspot, but checking some reviews that still seems to exist on the car.

What is up with this and why does BMW make the steering like this? Here I am waiting for a white Z4 M40i coming in from another dealer which I had planned on buying.. But that steering is giving me pause for concern.

What do you think of the steering on your z4?

Rob
The thing is that You use steering in a wrong way. Release the throttle just before turn. When the car "sits" add a throttle a bit and than continue adding the throttle as You straighting the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0