12-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
No no I never said that! But if you say "it's faster so it's better"... I mean, that speaks for itself. (Even though I doubt he meant it like that.)

But see, you prefer performance over precision, and I don't. But again, that's personal preference.

I am sure we will see some nicer exhausts and a louder exhaust noise, but the engine noise is what can't be fixed with FE engines. There just is none or little. That's why BMW uses the Active Sound etc. The Porsche actually has some engine sound still which is quite nice, but in the convertible, once you drive faster than like 50 mph you don't hear it anymore.
Personal preference is just personal preference after all... But the truth is that for a mainstream model to stay relevant in today's $100k sport car market, the standard C2 and C2S 911 desperately need a power bump. And the only way to do that while still meeting the emission guidelines is through FI.

Again, you have to realize for most owners of cars of this price range (doesn't matter it is a C2S, GT3, or Turbo), they care very little on the actual performance other than the fact of owning the greatest and the latest from Porsche. But again, Porsche gives you the freedom to pick from one of the dozen flavors of 911 accompanied with nearly endless option lists, so it is up the owner to decide if they want some boulevard cruiser or a razor sharp track beast, or something in between. However, I have to say just because it has turbos, doesn't mean the engine response is imprecise. Honestly, if turbo engines are good enough for much of the top level motorsports these days, I am sure it will be good enough for amateurs like us.

You have to distinguish intake sound from exhaust. The reason why 911 sound the way it is for the driver is mostly due to its engine placement and the fact Porsche uses a sound tube connecting the cabin to the intake manifold, which is impossible for BMW to do so due to its front engine placement. There is very little you can do with intake sound, but exhaust sound can be pretty much manipulated into whatever you want it to sound like these days.

Every heard of the tiny I4 turbo engine on the Fiat 500 Abarth, sounds pretty good right? The same goes for much of the AMG range as well. It is up the the OEM on how to balance sound, flow, and weight when it comes to design the entire exhaust systems.

That said, not all aftermarket exhausts are created equally. The sad truth is that most of the companies out there is just there to make some quick bucks by slapping some off the shelf mufflers and call it a day, and the ones that don't charge an arm and leg for some steel pipes
Appreciate 1