View Single Post
      08-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #88
sugaki
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I think many misunderstand the purpose of a concept car. A true concept car can never be manufactured because they design exercises that are free from engineering restraints, crash standards and cost restrictions. They are intended to get the designers to establish a language that is going to be used for a production model and to test the public's desire for these concepts. The cases where manufactures have closely followed the concept in establishing a production car have more often than not resulted in severely compromised cars like the Gen 5 Camaro which has perhaps the worst ergonomics of a modern production car I have ever seen.
Waving off any bad design translation from concept > production is lazy excusing on behalf of the manufacturer without concrete evidence or signs of that.

Ok, hood line I can see coming from crash safety/packaging, for sake of radiator support location or whatever. But the overwrought mess that is the lower front grill is simply due to poor design, nothing else. Weird black plastic outcropping would increase, not decrease molding complexity and cost, versus a much simpler traditional design.

Nor do I think it’s because of the wide angle distortion of this looking meh. Thought the leaked 8 looked disappointing, just as I did the production.

Overall the design isn’t bad (hideous front bumper is probably an M trim thing anyway), but it looks very derivative to me, like a Fiat Spyder and SL has a baby.
Appreciate 0