vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I did a CCNA way back in the day, it expired in 2015, am in a senior IT role, was thinking of doing this, to get past the IT bot's on resumes, not sure if it is worth it. I do see on some job specs this is sometimes asked for ?
My employer sends all of our entry-level IT staff out to get their A+ within 6 months of hire...and pays for the testing. One of the big PC hardware manufacturers requires us to use people with A+ certifications to perform all warranty/repair work as a condition for our self-repair program with them. Having the entire front line certified has worked out.

I have zero certifications, and 36 years of experience inventing a lot of the stuff that's on those certification tests. I went out for a three-day CCNE prep class about 7 years ago. Half of the class was trying to sell obsolete Cisco routers, and the other half was IPv4 subnetting exercises. Not one mention of IPv6! Never went for the test, since it was pointless. One of my junior colleagues went to the same class/instructor, and passed the CCNE...on his third try.

If you're in a senior IT role, I'd go for something like Amazon AWS or cloud certifications, or maybe something in security. Does a "Must Click Start Engineer" (MCSE) count for anything these days?

The only certification that I would consider for myself right now is project management, like PMP. Something that I've been doing all of my adult life, but not likely to get me far without the certs on my resume.....
nazali1311.50