View Single Post
      12-07-2023, 07:23 AM   #11
Wynnsiensheng
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
[QUOTE=perryinva;30713701]I agree, to each their own, and I'd be in heaven to have a spouse that was in to cars enough to go to ANY kind of event!. On a more practical matter, you might mention that besides the enjoyment factor, it's just not good for the mechanicals, tires, bearings and battery to drive only once a month. Oils settle and films thin or disappear, rubber ages & wears more poorly, etc.

But I sympathize. Compared to my previous 911 coupe, which was lowered to euro height and sported Bilstein Coilovers, I found that since I retired, I was driving less than 1000 miles a year, while it WAS my mostly DD when I was working and it wasn't below 40F out, and I wasn't traveling to nasty locations, or driving a company car. I find I WANT to drive the Z4 more often, even on decent errands. It is just a more comfortable and easier car to enjoy, as I age, in ride, ingress/egress, comfort, technology, and general fun. The automatic top is used way more than I thought I would, as my last roadster was a manual top Z3. I've owned mine for 5 months now, and it still hasn't been in the rain, though, LOL. Even trying to drive it more often, I've still put just under 500 miles on it, so while a lot better than the 911, I still should drive it more! I owned the 911 for 15 years and only put 40k miles on it, and came to the realization that I had kept it in pristine shape and purchased improvements for it...basically for the person I sold it to. ( I can't complain, I sold it for $12K less than I paid for it, including those improvements, and I did enjoy it while I had it)

Your Porsche sounds like mine. I had a 997 for 17 years and 40k km.

Sorry, didn’t want to start derailing the thread, but your story resonated with me.
Appreciate 0