View Single Post
      10-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #58
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I think they could do that, not run the manufacture's code through the standardized OBDII port. Old pre-OBDII BMWs have a round BMW-specific port under the hood. My wife's '97 Z3 has both ports. OBDII goes through the OBDII connector in the passenger footwell. The BMW codes can only be accessed through the 32-pin round connector under the hood.
They already do that through the obd protocol and normal obd2 port.
There is (in the EU) a law that automakers have to comply/work together that independant garages can service vehicles so that they are safe and enviromentally adequate.
So most/all codes regarding to engine, powertrain and undercarriage/brakes are catagorized in generic codes.
But codes to service parking sensors or things with radio/nav etc etc etc are all 'deep obd' codes. (non generic manufacturer specific).
Some obd toolmakers pay bmw more to get more coding in their tools
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50