Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
BMW Design Boss Thinks Customising Is Cool

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...look-bmw-81656
Quote:
We don't mind if you change the 4 Series look: BMW

BMW’s new 4 Series might not have received the warmest reception when it first showed its face earlier this year, but the car’s designer won’t mind if you change its look.

Speaking to Australian media ahead of the 4 Series coupe launch, BMW head of exterior design Christopher Weil said the premium two-door mid-sizer was built to intentionally to stand far apart from the platform-sharing 3 Series.

“We wanted to divide the 4 Series more from the 3 Series … they were very much the same – let’s say in design expression, and now we wanted to split up the characters,” he said.

“The 4 Series, in our aim, should be more expressive, more progressive and also more elegant than the 3 Series.

“They are two different cars addressing two different sorts of customers, that was the aim whilst designing the car.”

Mr. Weil is aware of the polarising reception the 4 Series has received online since its reveal, but believes that pictures don’t do the new car justice, and that customers are quick to warm to the styling once they see the car in the metal.

However, Mr Weil also said he is open to customers choosing to modify their 4 Series – or any other BMW model – up to, and including changing the unique oversized kidney grille.

“I like the idea of customising – we see it in the motorcycle world, there’s a lot of customising – and if people think ‘we can tune a car, we can make it different’ or they’re kind of styling the car to their own personality even more, of course they should do it,” he said.

“We have certain offerings at BMW – they are very expressive pieces – or you can even put on aftermarket (parts), and great wheels and stuff like this, but even if people go somewhere else and customise the car, it’s fine with me, I think it’s cool.

Though the car is only hitting showrooms around the world now, there are already aftermarket parts suppliers who are working on a front bumper and grille to give the 4 Series a more traditional look.

However, Mr Weil said he believes that pushing the limits of car design is good, despite the online negative reception of the new 4 Series.

“To polarize with design is also very good, it’s a good thing because I think there are enough cars in our line-up which are addressing classical themes or classical beauty, let’s say, but we want to shift the boundaries with our product,” he said.

“With every product we want to kind of create something which is very special and that’s the goal.

“We are hoping that this car appeals to young customers, but I would say if young or old, it’s addressing a certain mindset.”
Emphasis added.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 12-01-2020 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0