View Single Post
      09-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #32
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
BTW, MPSS or MP4S is nowhere near the track purpose tire.
Compared to Bridgestone RE71r, it will be about about 1~2 seconds slower in 60 sec course. (can be more or less, depends on track)
Did I say the MPSS or MPS4 are FASTER than today’s track tires?

I’m pretty sure I didn’t say that.

I recall the r-comps and near slicks from the late 199x and early 200x, tires like the original Victoracers and the early Toyo RA1s being about as grippy as TODAY’s latest Michelin too end summer tires (but without the road manners, longevity, and WET handling). I ran Falken Azeris RT-615 on track, and they were the “hot” track tires in mid 2000s and they’re nowhere near what today’s streetable track tires like the Bridgestone RE71R, Hankook RS4, or even BFG Rivals.

Compared to track tires from about 10-15 years ago, the MPS4s are comparable in lateral grip. They’re not track tires, but they pull times SIMILAR to last generation r-comps. The MPSSes are comparable to r-comps of 2 generations ago, the early RA1 and Victoracers.

Some of today’s “street” tires are about as grippy as the latest r-comps. He’ll I ran Federal 555RSR-Rs at Laguna Seca, and those are my “street” tires and I set a personal fast lap on those $75/tire “economy” tires.
Appreciate 0