View Single Post
      12-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

I would wait rating the E-Tron GT until detailed specs are available. The new E-Tron SUV offers 400km (250Mi) range with a 95kWh battery. This means 23.75kWh/100km and is in the Tesla S range (for those who don't know for comparison: i3 is 13 kWh/100km). Press comments are not that ecstatic here.

What at least can be said already is, that the E-Trons cannot nearly beat the innovative approach of the BMW i cars. Although we have to see if BMW can hold the benchmark with future cars.

With an all electric i8 (Wow, thrilling vision) the question is: When will the chosen battery cell technology (prismatic cells) allow for yet higher density. While better in terms of reliability, constant availability and long life aspects, it needs more space than Teslas mobile phone cells (which I still don't trust...).

But I guess there won't be ever a pure electric i8 for another reason. BMW doesn't have further money to experiment since the revolution is now rapidly speeding up and concrete mass models have to be in focus now. So expect rather 8xx e-drive or 4xx e-drive as available sports cars.

But for sure the next outstanding BMW concept sports car that is purchasable will follow sometimes in a hopefully nice and clean future. And someone finds my i8 in a barn then...

Last edited by BigT; 12-04-2018 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0