SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGigglebox View Post
People have been complaining about this on some of the M cars for years. Doesn't appear that they have any interest in addressing it.
Not completely true. The part that is true is that has been a problem on the F8x M2/M3/M4 since the beginning. I experienced this while in Italy when I took Euro Delivery of my 2016 M4. It freaked me out when it happened and I immediately pulled off the road thinking that something was wrong. It sounded like I was pulling a string of tin cans behind the car. By the time I stopped I remembered reading about this and that there was no cause for alarm. The rock(s) apparently fell out while I was stopped because the noise went away.

There are lots of posts about this in the F80 forum. Some people have indicated that BMW did in fact release a revised part that is supposed to remedy the problem. My wife's 2018 M3 has not experienced this problem in almost a year.

The easiest and fastest fix is to pull off the rear wheels and just push the backing plate inwards towards the diff. I did this while fitting track pads in Switzerland, after the Italy part of the trip and before Nurburgring. The problem didn't recur again during Euro Delivery or in the three years since.

On the M2/M3/M4 this occurs primarily on the rear.

Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00