Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aastretch64 View Post
I've got the M4 coupe competition package. Traction off, the thing is ridiculously fast. But for me the most engaging part is the head thrashing DCT which makes the tires chirp even in 3rd and 4th gear and the M-performance exhaust I have installed. Questionable whether my neighbors like the exhaust. ;-)

I think there should have been an option for a true DCT, some quicker throttle response and better exhaust on the Z4 M40i. Especially considering that there were rumors that BMW would NOT design a Z4M.

I guess I was just confused that all the reviews I read and watched made it seem like it was one of the most engaging, fastest cars around. My expectations where too high I think.

Congrats on your purchase though. I still think it is one of the most attractive and aggressive looking roadsters on the road. So beautiful. And the new tech is amazing! Can't wait for that tech to trickle down to to the M4.
True it's all about expectations; in my case after driving the Porsche Boxster S and Mercedes SLC43AMG, the Z4 felt like a better car - far better driving dynamics than the Mercedes and more power than the Porsche. If you're comparing your modded M4 Comp to the Z4, I can see where it may not measure up in terms of outright thrust and noise....As I said my F type was far faster than both but then, I didn't really expect the Z4 to be as fast.

The F type was also ridiculously loud and obnoxious and one of the things I like about the Z4 M40i is the pleasant, yet not as obnoxious exhaust tone. The F type sounded like a machine gun going off in Sport plus with baffles open. Again, depends what you want.

On the DCT; I honestly found the ZF8 to feel pretty similar to the DCT in the Porsche only without the low speed notchiness of the DCT. Then again, I loved the ZF8 in the Jaguar too and it's been largely applauded in reviews. I think we're going to see the DCT fade away in favor of the modern autos like the ZF8. Don't know if you read this: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...f-eight-speed/

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 2
Jim S385.00
rikuF1080.50