Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
My fears for this car:
- Steering regressing. The current setup is not the best but overall it's BMW's best work on EPS
- Added weight. The M3/4 just packed on 350 lbs. The M2 already isn't a lightweight
- Interior coming straight out of the 2 Gran Coupe. Having to put up with this gimmicky light-up plastic trim instead of carbon fiber like the current model would be very disappointing. BMW is a luxury brand and should offer the option of premium trim pieces like CF, aluminum, or wood

Overall I can live with what I've seen of the styling. BMW's F-chassis cars, for all their faults, nailed the clean classic BMW look. The G chassis cars in comparison all have styling quirks. Some look fine overall (3, 5, X3, X5), whereas others are just bad (4, Z4, 7, M3/4).
Steering: As with any electronic device, they will just get better and better so I wouldn't worry about it

Weight: Big concern. I believe they went cheap on the G80/82 body, using less aluminium alloy and more steel thus the humongous weight increase of circa 170-180 kg over the predecessor on a apple to apple spec.

Interior: From spy shots it looks like it's a lift from the 3 series...

Styling: A big concern given the controversy of the design language on the M3/M4. They have chosen a radical but not well received design to set apart the M3/M4. You don't look at them as say wow I want one. You have to dig into the spec and say wow 500hp, 0-60...etc

I hope they will put in more classic BMW M elements on the G87 and make it a very desirable car even before one peek at the spec. Then it will be a win for BMW.
Appreciate 0