09-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
I think that's where I'd disagree...or at least provide a thorough addendum. As electric (and autonomous self-driving, rideshared, etc) cars become the norm it will create a niche for enthusiast oriented ICE cars that are unbound by the regs for street legality. That will push ICE cars the same way horses went with the proliferation of cars - free to become specialized for showing, racing, and work. Instead of purchasing an M2 or M4 weighed down by safety features and creature comforts, we can get something more like an m240iR or M4 GT4. They could bring back classics like the e30 M3 Evo as a production car. They could sell you a turnkey Formula BMW car. Keep it in your garage, hail yourself an autonomous Tesla Cybertruck, hitch your trailered racecar to it, and sleep in luxury on your way to the track.
But the question remains, will the Amish still drive their horse-drawn buggies on the fast streets of Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, and Indiana in the midst of the EV pandemic?

Race tracks be dammed. I'm driving my ICE on the street. There will be no need for police since autonomous cars won't break any driving laws.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0