Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
I just did the Denver UDE on Sunday.

I agree with other reviews, - it was kind of a "Meh" event. While I enjoyed the RWD M340 around the autocross circuit, the M235 really understeered. In fact, my car came with a right front all season tire compared to the summer rubber on the other wheels - which exasperated the issue on left hand turns.

The street drives were kind of fun, I took out at least 5 vehicles. I was very surprised at the X3M - absolutely no low end grunt. Put it in Sport+ mode, Sport traction and off the line it was dead until about 2K rpm, then it took off. Handled like it was on rails though.

One highlight - I got to drive an M850 convertible, and that was really nice - and the sound! I could get used to that.

Last note - I have NOT received any OL code which is really disappointing considering that was a primary reason for signing up - I want to get my wife an X3M40 to replace her Lexus RX450h.

Overall it was just an OK event....got me out on a nice day.
I just came back from the event in San Diego and felt similarly. I had driven the M340 last year on a dealer event test drive and was underwhelmed with the steering but found the rest of the car to be quite solid. The chassis and powertrain were great. On the autocross today I quite enjoyed the M340. The steering is still a weak point of the car, but on their course it provided me adequate information. The chassis was very well balanced, I loved getting the tail out a little yet remaining firmly planted. One of the instructors commented that the F30 generation was just plain bad in comparison.

The 235 was....mediocre at best. It's ugly and understeered a lot. Decent enough exhaust note though.

For whatever reason this location did not have any M2, M3, M4, or M5 like last year's event in Los Angeles. It was all SUVs and then an 850 sedan and cabriolet. I drove the X4M and also found there was no low end grunt which was frustrating. Steering was tight but quite artificial feeling. The Porsche Macan definitely takes the cake in this segment, but the X3/4M are definitely fun for CUVs. At their price they are a solid buy.
Appreciate 0