View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #685
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I had a lot of clumping tall fescue and what I did is I dug them all up. the cool thing about it was when I planted my 5 Autumn Blaze maples the grass that was removed I used to fill in those spots after the clumping fescue was removed. as far as the grass seeds I went with Pete's GCI tall fescue only because he shows everything he's done to it. so after a year of his seed being out and showing what he's been doing throughout the season I knew this was the cultivar I wanted to go with. so moving forward every end of the season in Fall I will overseed with GCI until that's all that's in my yard. i'm already 3 weeks and 2 days into the overseeding and the seed is doing sooooo well. I was suppose to cut the grass over the Weekend but it rained. i'm off tomorrow so i'll be able to tackle on getting the lawn cut as i'll need to use the lawn sweeper to pick everything up since i'll have grass all over the lawn being so tall. as you can see the grass is already 12" long in some areas lol! but the color is a nice dark green. I can't wait to see what the grass looks like when it's mature here in a few weeks.
I'm curious how broad the blades are. People seem happy w/ his blend of elite cultivars. I was thinking it was more of a medium blade. Honestly, I like the idea of the benefits of TTTF but I don't like a broad blade. Please post a pic of the GCI turf once it matures a bit. I don't think that is my current bane but, at the same time, am not sure. I think the clumping crap is more a weedy TF but am playing it safe this fall and sticking w/ KBG.

For now, I actually went overboard and ordered a 50lb bag each of Appalachian and Concerto KBG from a place in WI. I forgot that I wasn't going to tackle the entire backyard this fall (due to time), just certain sections. lol

I'll also see if my favorite local equipment store has their KBG/Rye blend in stock this weekend. These seeds would be coated which will help my water bill more than anything but the cultivars should have better root depth and good disease and insect resistance.

My front has just a few areas in need of TLC but has otherwise been pretty good. Even w/ recent lawn disease it is still pretty good (lots of warm days and cool, humid nights). A little bit of dollar spot but not bad. A little bit of brown patch but no massive die off.

The back is what needs the most love (still) given rust coming in on some areas (no where near as bad as past years, though), some leaf spot, brown patch, and red thread (I think). It was doing so well up until I had some work trips! Going to do a single treatment with propicanizole then follow up w/ Azoxystrobin next month. Probably lay some Humic-12 or RGS at the same time.

I ordered Agri-Fab's 52" lawn sweeper as well as an electric dethatcher off Amazon. The latter is only 14" wide but people seem to love it. I don't mind more walking. Had to order some pretty long, 12AWG extension cords, though. lol Mowed down to 2.75" this past weekend. Will probably set it to 2.5" or 2.25" next time (depending on growth). I may not overseed until next weekend but we'll see.

Both cultivars should have good resistance to common lawn disease. If I end up getting the coated seed from Russo this Sat, it'll be even better and have better root depth. I'll use that stuff in the front yard and the online stuff in the back.

Last edited by bosstones; 09-17-2019 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0