United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
You don't have to drive on gravel roads to experience this problem. During the Euro Delivery of my 2016 M4 in May 2016 were were driving on a paved mountain road in Italy, but it had a lot of pebbles on it from the "shoulders" of the road and I picked up one which made me immediately pull off the side of the road when I was able. Then I remembered that I had read about this on the F80/F82 forum and realized what it was. Fortunately, stopping allowed the pebble to drop out. Sounded pretty horrible though and this happened less than a week after I took delivery. I thought something catastrophic had happened to my car. The first time I had the rear wheels off after I got the car home, I just bent back the backing plate slightly and I haven't experienced this since then. There's a TSB on this and updated part numbers for the F80/F82 M3/M4. My wife's 2018 M3 has not experienced this problem so she probably has the updated backing plates.

Other people I know have experienced this when doing canyon runs, which invariably has rocks/stones/pebbles on the roads. This happened just this past weekend on a club drive on the windy, twisty roads of east San Diego county, all paved roads.
I guess I have just been extremely fortunate, because in the 5 years that I have had my M4, I have only had it happen once. That was on a front wheel and it fell out pretty quickly. I obviously have an early 2015 and I never updated the backing plates. Just fortunate I guess.

Edit: I also don't see it as a brake problem or the brakes being broken. It has no bearing on the operation of the brakes or their effectiveness.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0