10-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #84
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Jackie Stewart -

https://racer.com/2020/10/06/hamilto...-list-stewart/

“(Juan Manuel) Fangio in my mind is the greatest driver that’s ever lived, with Jim Clark as the second greatest even ahead of (Ayrton) Senna,” Stewart told the ‘In the Fast Lane’ podcast.

“Frankly, the car (Mercedes) and the engine are now so superior it’s almost unfair on the rest of the field… it’s not quite the same respect if you like, of being able to do it in the less than the best car. And that’s where sometimes there’s the difference between the very very great drivers and the ones that were very successful.”

F1 calendar expansion means drivers compete more often each year now than in the past, but in terms of win percentage Fangio leads the way ahead of Alberto Ascari, Hamilton and Clark, with Stewart himself eighth, one place behind Schumacher and one ahead of Senna.

“To say that Lewis is the greatest driver of all time, would be difficult for me to justify, if you understand me, in sheer power of what the other drivers were doing.

“There was a level playing field that simply doesn’t exist today, so therefore it’s difficult to identify who really are the very best racing drivers themselves from just behind the steering wheel.”