View Single Post
      11-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #6
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
The rule everywhere is that a car should be registered where it is being garaged/kept within 30 days. We have two daughters who have lived out of state. Both cars were co-owned by my husband and we carried them on our insurance.

During college, it didn’t matter. College towns are accustomed to cars “living” there with out of state registrations. I would expect Boston to be that way. If I were you I’d keep and renew your existing registration and insurance. Much easier than changing everything for less than a year.

The daughter in DC eventually had to get registered there, as they watch for out of state cars parked on the streets. They ticket and possibly boot them. So she had to go off our insurance eventually, but she got away with it for about two years. But had off street parking most of that time. As soon as she began parking in the street, it became a problem.

The insurance could be a problem for you, as her insurance may be far more expensive in a city like Boston than where you live.

And yes, she would need a Mass drivers license to register there. And I think she would need the title. Not sure.

My daughter in Florida is in medical school, third year, and her car is still registered and insured with us here in Maryland. So, she still has a MD drivers license and can’t vote in Florida, she has to absentee vote in Maryland.

We checked with our insurance company to be sure she would be covered under these circumstances, and they are okay with her as a student staying with her Maryland registration and insurance. Registration can be done by mail or online, so no problem there.

My advice is to keep everything the same. As long as she has a legal registration she won’t be harassed by police. If she is parking in the street, she might have the same problem we had in DC, but being such a huge college town, I kinda doubt that in Boston.

I hope that helps!
Appreciate 0