SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
The user profiles are a bit flaky. My wife drives the car to church on Sunday. No, I am not making this up. I am sure there is an M-Town ‘let’s go to church on Sunday’ commercial idea in there somewhere. BMW’s marketing department, contact me if you read this. I am sure we can get to a reasonable arrangement for my idea. Maybe black mirror caps? Anyway, when it’s my turn again to drive the car, it recognizes me and greets me, but may not change the ambient lighting back to my color. Or set one of my exterior mirrors back to my programmed position. Changing profile inside the car or pressing one of the seat memory buttons doesn’t do it either at that point. Only exit and re-enter, sometimes with locking/unlocking, once or twice, will do the trick. Haven’t found a pattern to it. On the list to check with the BMW Genius at my dealership.
I have a 2016 M4 and my wife has a 2018 M3, but we both also drive our 2006 Z4 M Roadster, which is why I'm lurking here. We also both drive each other's M3 and M4 and we each have a profile in each car.

The key with profiles is, each person has to have their own fob and you MUST lock the car after you exit the car. Locking the car is like telling it "This driver is done now." If you don't lock the car after you've driven it, when your wife goes to drive the car with her fob, your profile is still active and she hasn't unlocked the car with her fob to tell it "New driver!" However, if the car is locked, the next fob that unlocks the driver's door will cause the profile associated with that fob to be active, regardless if it's you or your wife. If each of you unlocks the car with your fob and then locks it again after driving, the profiles will work.

A profile is also only selected if the car is unlocked at the driver's door. For example, my wife always carries the fobs to both her M3 and my M4 in her purse. She can approach the passenger door of my M4 and unlock the car but if I was last one driving the M4 my profile is still selected because the car wasn't unlocked at the driver's door.

The best way to figure this out is to test it out in the garage with both fobs. One of you should unlock the car, set everything the way they want, then exit, lock the car, and walk away. Then the other person unlocks the car, sets everything the way they want, locks the car and walks away. Once you've done this, as long as you keep locking the car after driving, you shouldn't have any problems with the profiles. Also, make sure that each person labels their profiles in iDrive so they can be selected from the iDrive if necessary. That way, if one of you forgets to lock the car after driving, and the next driver's profile isn't activated, you can pull up the correct profile from iDrive and activate that profile.

Another way to use profiles is when you drop off the car at the dealer for scheduled service (or if you valet the car), you can select the Guest profile before getting out of the car. That way the person that drives the car can set the seats any way they want, and it won't affect your profile. When you get the car back, select your profile from iDrive, which will cause everything to be returned to your settings.

This is what we've learned about profiles over the last 3 years with my car and not quite a year with her car.

Appreciate 3
gblansten1975.00
CeEl479.00