10-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Private sellers can be iffy IMO from what I have seen. I personally would want to see the car in person before I purchased anything from a private seller, but thats just me(Used cars). I know a lot of people though over the years that do it all the time. Some get burned but most have not had any issues. I would just make sure I got everything in some form of writing incase something isn't what its suppose to be when it arrives.

As far as dealers go, we sell a ton of cars online every month (Mostly new however). Its pretty seamless. Its def something all buyers should do IMO. You have all these dealers out there, use that to your advantage and shop around for the best price
About 15 years ago, I found on line a 1979 E21 that was supposedly low-mileage and in great shape. It was about an hours drive, so I went to go see it. It was offered for $3,000, so I brought cash and my wife to drive it home. I went through the car thoroughly and found a bunch of small details that indicated to me it was not as "clean" as advertised. The body was straight and the paint good, but it had been repaired (a near-perfect professional job). The car drove like shit, but none of the issues couldn't be easily rectified by an experienced BMW DIY'er. I am quite familiar with the E21 being they were new back in the day when I started my relationship with BMWs, so I wasn't worried about getting it back up to snuff.

Well, back 15 years ago is about the time people were starting to sell cars on eBay. I was ready to pull out some cash to buy it when the owner pulls the ultimate dick move and said "well, I just listed it on eBay this morning, so I'm going to wait and see what I get for it on eBay." Being not one to buy a car sight unseen, I said "Well that's a dick move on your part, good luck with that." The car wasn't worth $3,000. He probably sold it for $5K on eBay. Buyer beware...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0