12-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #1255
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Guess who said this,
“you might be right there. i think i looked up the ZL1 time. Found a thread on the camaro forums saying the ss 1le is about the same time as a Z28 on most tracks. So around 7:37. Same time as a CS.”

This same person quotes drag racing times, trap speeds often enough as well as comparing cars on tracks with turns. That dude is dick measuring also then isn’t he?
———————————————
Since you posted this in the C8 thread and no one here has a C8 so dick measuring doesn’t quite apply, just guys shooting the shit with other car guys. Talking performance numbers is something the vast majority of performance car people do. If numbers weren’t talked about by people who buy these cars there wouldn’t be hundreds of sites, tv shows, magazines, blogs.... of guys thrashing cars to see what they can do and how to make them do it better and faster. Nor would be there a need for every perf car maker to get their new projects to tracks ASAP to lay down low numbers.

Many of us do take our cars on tracks when we can but it’s really irrelevant, most cars that perform well on the track perform well on the street also. Most of us when lined up at a red light side by side with a worthy opponent and there’s open road ahead and cop free will indulge in a contest of speed. Most guys talk racing and race when they can, on the street or on the track. It’s the American way and the way of many lands.

There are those who don’t talk performance numbers, hp, tq and all that good stuff but I think it’s limited to little old ladies, guys who are pissed because their ride doesn’t measure up and that metrosexual creep in pajamas curled up on the couch by itself sipping hot cocoa in the Hillary add a couple years ago.
quite a long rant you got there. You seem to be triggered.

so because I quote a lap time for the sake of discussion i'm dick measuring??

If you actually go out and buy car A over car B simply because you are beating the other guy by a car length in the 1/4... or you're a second faster around a lap... then you are dick measuring and you got some issues you need to work out. Again just discussing lap times and data, not saying someone should buy a zl1 or z28 over an civic f80, I know I never would.

It does sell. but so does a lot of other pointless stuff. like how everyone has a a big SUV now. A bigger drink at mcdonalds… people value quantity over quality these days. especially when it comes to performance. A model 3p will beat an m3 on a track and drag strip but I don't care. there are other factors to a car that are more important. mainly how it makes YOU feel when YOU drive it. If you need to beat someone else to feel good, well that's on you.

I used to care about straight line numbers in my 20s. Had an E85 GTR that was running a mid-10 1/4 mile. But the shit gets old. Anyone can do it...

good video by carlos lago of motortrend/Edmunds on this and how we are all obsessed with numbers.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS

Last edited by Humdizzle; 12-05-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00