Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
If you even try to say that the Mac OS has any sort of technical prowess over Windows in any kind of way, I simply have nothing to say to you.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA ROTFLMFAO

Squawks, I don't know who you are or what your background is, but with this comment you come off as some Internet script kiddie more than an IT or computer professional.

Mac OS X is built on the foundations of FreeBSD, which is a Unix-like operating system. Have you heard of Unix or Linux?

If the game is sheer technical complexity, you cannot win that argument, since that is a silly one to begin with. Just because something is complex to use does not make it technically superior in any way.

If technical superiority is at question, well, all you need to know is that the majority of the world's most advanced computer systems, supercomputers, servers, etc. do not run Windows. They are usually running Unix or some variant such as Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, etc.

To be honest with you, I think I held a similar opinion as yours a long time ago. But that was when I was an avid and expert Windows user and ignorant about what was possible with Mac OS X. This leads me to believe that maybe you are also in this situation now.

My only request is that you not misrepresent yourself by claiming to know all that OS X is capable of, and declaring it inferior to Windows. The rest of this discussion of OS X vs Windows technical superiority is unrelated to this thread. I will leave it for another time and place.

To the original poster, my recommendation is that you purchase according to your needs and budget. Also, go spend some time playing with a MacBook Pro at an Apple Store near you. And if you think you will not be taxing the system much (although you claim to be doing web design, photo and video editing which can be pretty taxing), then maybe you should wait a month for the Intel-based iBook replacement which should be much much cheaper than the MacBook Pros available now.

Lastly, I recently sold my PowerBook G4 of two years and replaced it with a MacBook Pro 2GHz and I am very pleased with it. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have. However, I have not yet installed Windows dual-boot.