12-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #2680
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
It took me a long time, but I've read this entire thread. I admit I skimmed through much of the specific stock price replies, but there was a ton of useful info, so thank you all who contributed!

Anyone care to give me a critique on what i'm working with? I'll be collecting a pension in another 15 years (68-75% of my salary depending on how long I stay). I also started a 457b (it's like a 401k for gov't employees - my employer does not match anything). I contribute a few hundred / month to it and I have Nationwide manage it. They charge me 1% / year but the way I look at it they are probably 1% better at this stuff than I am so why not.

Here's where I may take a beating from you guys... Approximately 30% of my total investing is in cryptocurrencies. 70ish % of which is in Litecoin, Bitcoin and Ethereum - with about 30% in about a dozen different "alts". I've been in the crypto market about 5 years now and i'm just shy of doubling my total investment.

The way I see it, i've got a long way until I retire. I have a pension and a 457b that are quite safe (slow and steady wins the race?). Since I have a minimum 15-20 working years left I figured the high risk stuff like crypto may pay off. Time will tell. What do you guys think?

Do you have a choice at managers for your 457B - 1% is too high. That will cost you over $100K by the time you retire.

Pensions are solid. Rare these days but it's worth more than most people think.

Way too high in crypto (IMO). Even if it's fun money investing I'd cut back and invest in larger tech.
Appreciate 1