View Single Post
      07-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #295
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
The C7's rear suspension was a composite transleaf spring. Get your facts straight. It goes back all the way to the C5
I believe you're talking about the springs. previous poster was talking about the control arm geometry, which is a double wishbone/a-arm design.

And we can all argue until we're red in the face whether or not the double wishbone design is superior or inferior to your typical multi-link design. Truth is, just like pen*s size, those that have the bigger d*ck will tell you size does matter, those with the smaller d*ck will tell you it's all about how it's used. And the truth lies somewhere in between...For guys like me, who has a car (BMW MZ4 Coupe) that uses a fairly modern multi-link, and one that uses a double wishbone, all I can tell you is that I am big, and I know how to use it.

But to boil it down simply, double wishbone has infinitely more adjustment to camber, toe, and caster, while multi-link has better movement control. Believe it or not, my C7 Grand Sport has a REAR CASTER setting. Rear. Caster. You can fine-tune the mother**k out of the double wishbone setup it's insane. I remember when I first got the C7 Grand Sport aligned at West End Alignment in Torrance, CA, and the technician asked me what I want my rear caster to be set up at, and I was like..."Um...Rear caster? Really?" The double wishbone that came stock/standard on the C7 can be adjusted from 0º to -2.5º camber, up to 1º caster forward or back, and 1/16" toe either way (I believe the toe adjustment really depends on where you have your camber set up at, but whatever). All without the use of any additional hardware or camber plates/arms. With camber arms and plates you can get some insane geometry. On my BMW the rear camber limit is 1.9º.

I can't tell you whether one is better than the other on track, because the two cars are so extremely different when it comes to their idea of how to attack a corner. Wheelbase difference is on the magnitude of almost a foot and the overall length difference and weight difference is YUGE. What I CAN tell you is, a well set-up suspension of either kind is hard to beat, and from a street use and comfort perspective, neither really has an advantage over the other.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.

Last edited by The HACK; 07-24-2019 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00