View Single Post
      07-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #300
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I'll start by saying I own a 911, albeit a 993 so a very different animal than what will be competing with the C8 other than the looks dept. I think the 993 is a damn fine looking car, and so is the C8.

Much of what you said is why the C8 is going to be a giant slayer at $60K USD. Some of the pics of the camo'd C8 were clearly taken at the Ring and GM isn't ab out to release a car like this without doing their do diligence. Are 911's, McLaren, Ferrari et al going to lose sales. Maybe a few guys will jump ship but I think where the Supercars are going to be hurt is on the track. I don't know if they can up their game to justify the price delta on performance alone, there will always be the exclusivity aspect of Supercars and the C8 has effectively taken themselves mainstream with this car at this price point.

I live in a fairly affluent area, and there are a few Ferrari's in town, I see the odd R8, there was a parade of about 20 Lamborgini's that went through town a few weeks back and that always feels special. I have a feeling that we won't be able to swing a dead cat without seeing a C8.
I think we are arguing about things that may not be relevant. As I said before, in relative performance, the previous gen Corvette such as C6, C7 and now C8 have all had very competitive track performance vs. the supercars. It's not just the C8 generation that will all of a sudden start to outperform those supercars. But the 911 and the likes have been doing just fine.

As stated in the article you posted, the GM chassis was "archaic" and therefore they need to have software that helps to improve the handling. And that was my point. These intangible things are difficult to quantify but you can tell from just driving the car. Ultimately I have to drive the car to know for sure but I have no illusions that the $60K C8 with its cost saving manufacture-wise will better the 911 and the likes in term of refinement.
Appreciate 0