View Single Post
      08-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #174
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yes, that was my prediction last year when ynguldyn first wrote about powertrain details:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post23905991

Still the possibility that the manual transmission won't properly handle the torque produced by even the would-be baseline S58 as found in the standard X3/X4 M (and presumably the upcoming standard AWD M3/M4) has some merit. Factor in the likelihood that the S58+6MT combo will also be headed to the G87 M2 which will surely continue to be separated from the standard M3/M4 in part by having a lower engine output, and this idea has legs.

I would agree.

But, the reason I asked ynguldyn the question in my post wasn't because I don't think we have honed in on the likely specs with a high degree of certainty. On the contrary, I think that the community has collectively pieced things together what is probably a pretty accurate picture of the G80's mechanical specifications. Rather, I am looking for 100% confirmation. And while I personally think that the exact engine output of the expected RWD 6MT model - whether it be the same as the standard AWD model or slightly less - to be a minor point, there is a vocal fanbase who is very concerned about that number.
Agreed with all of that. It would be a shame if the 6MT was nerfed just because they wanted to nerf it to create a point of difference.

The F10 M5 and F06/12/13 M6 were available with the 6MT with 575ps and 500ftlb, the S58 is going to be nowhere near those figures. I don't see why the 510ps and 442lbft in the Competition would be a problem other than marketing. I'd guess that at higher speeds the 6MT will have quite a bit less drag than the zf8at + awd combo and maybe BMW would be worried about the 6MT being better at higher speeds.