View Single Post
      11-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #133
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Guess you forget the headlines when Lewis left for Mercedes? Why, what is he doing, chasing money, etc. Short memory I guess. Merc was not what it was today, not even close.

Quote from a 2012 article:
"McLaren have the fastest car this season, while Mercedes have slipped backwards after a promising start to the year.
But Mercedes have sold the move to Hamilton on the basis that they are preparing for a huge push in 2014, when new chassis and engine rules are introduced."

Merc was still struggling during Lewis's first season at Merc. The team won a total of 3 races in 2013. Absolutely nothing was promised from the new rules(2014 hybrid era). Lewis isn't nostradamus, he had no idea what was coming. So saying he left for a strong car is far fetched at best, if anything he took a huge gamble.

Exactly. Everyone in the media thought he made a horrible decision. The Merc's were notorious for blowing through tires in a couple laps when Lewis arrived.

What you're saying doesn't contradict what I'm saying. You're just telling a different part of the same story. All I'm saying is that he didn't leave for the "challenge". He left for a looooot of reasons and none of them is because winning at McLaren is easy and he wanted a challenge. He left because McLaren was on the decline (hindsight is 20/20 but it's true) and another team (the only big team who would take him) that gave him more money and more leeway and more future was the obvious choice.
Appreciate 0