View Single Post
      09-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #84
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It's not an X7 Coupe. XM is the first modern BMW M Project designed and engineered from the ground up by BMW M. It will have its own unique hybrids to aid performance and its own unique appearance.
Think of XM as the opposite of iX.
Two bookends for the BMW sub-brands.
So we now have three SUVs - the X7, XM, and iX - each exclusively employing one type of drive system:

X7 - petrol/diesel only
XM - plug-in hybrid only
iX - battery electric only

The only thing we are missing is a bespoken, dedicated hydrogen fuel cell vehicle in this class.

I think this is ironic given BMW's stated strategy to flex powertrains within a single model as market demands. Here, they've gone and divided them into three separate models despite the fact that they are all built on the same platform. Sure, this is the very top of the market where margins are greatest, but it's still a bit of a curious move. Others might skip the superfluous hybrid-only model and instead put the funds toward dedicated EV platforms that take advantage of the uniquely compact packaging of an electric drivetrain. How long before the high end electric luxury SUV buyer starts to notice BMW isn't doing that? BMW seems to be betting it won't happen in appreciable numbers until these products have run their course. I suppose we'll see.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25075.00