United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I'm not a lawyer or LOE and I can only speak from past experience.

To reinforce and add to ///M Town's comments
  1. Be overly polite.
  2. NEVER admit to anything, explain. etc. It's not the court and he's not the judge.

I've always wondered, when the LOE asks..."Do you know why.." if you answer truthfully if they will let you go. They won't.

I'm guessing you caught his attention but flying up behind him and noticing him too late. When I see LEO and I'm going faster than the limit, I just lift and hope my declaration either messes w/the radar or he doesn't bother w/me. I do not make any exaggerate moves to draw their attention as it's basically admitting guilt, e.g. braking (causes the front end to drop) or switch lanes.

AFAIK, passing on the right is illegal everywhere. NJ drivers are infamous for camping in the left lanes. If your from NJ and offended...tough it's true. That said, if someone is going slowly in the left lane and traffic is moving past them in the right two lanes, I don't see how he can say you passed him...unless you came up behind him in his lane, sped up in the right and passed him or worse then moved in front of him in the left lane again.

As for reckless driving...besides being truly reckless...speeding and weaving in and out of traffic, etc...it is used as an add-on, e.g. speeding = reckless, pass on the right = reckless.

Good luck hope it works out.

EDIT: I re-read your description. By your own admission you passed the first semi on the right. Paced means that he could not verify your actual speed but he could "pace" you can verify that you were going as fast as he was, which was over the speed limit.

If the tape review doesn't work in your favor, you may want to go to court and hope they drop or reduce the charges. Based on my quick back of the napkin addition your looking at 11 point minimum, i.e. 2 minimum + 4 + 5.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/points-schedule.htm

13 points and your loosing your license and/or going to driving school.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/driverprograms.htm

You must have really pissed him off, the 39 minute thing was him looking up your DMV record and deciding how bad to bend you over. He could have also thrown in improper passing for another 4 points and probably towed the car.

Last edited by omasou; 08-23-2020 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0