View Single Post
      01-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #16
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
I bet the percentage of BMW and Porsche owners who take their cars to the track is in the single digits or teens.
My guess is that your numbers are very low. I read somewhere that 80% of Porsche owners track their cars. I doubt the same could be said for BMW owners, but I would guess it is much higher than just the teens. Most people who take advantage of track days don't usually talk about it outside of their group of track buddies.

I found a post by John Browne which seems to be a reasonable guesstimate. It is for all car owners. I don't know the percentage of BMW/Porsche owners who are in that group, so your guess is as good as mine.
Assume 2 race tracks per state (some have more, some have less), or 100 total. Assume on average 9 months suitable weather for track days. Assume 2-5 track days per month (I'm counting club days, open HPDE days, but not test 'n' tune days which are for race cars and licensed race drivers only). So for a ballpark you can have 200- 500 track days per month X 9 months per year, or 1800-4500 track days per year, with guess 50 people attending average per each. If you further assume the average driver attends 2 track events per year, then you have a VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE of between 45k and 112,000 people driving at least one track day per year. Split the diff and you get about 75k.
Appreciate 0