02-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #201
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
Nice man!!

It seems to be one of the weaker lifts for most people. I hit 205# strict for 2 raw a few days ago...still cutting though, so I'm sure I could hit 225#+ raw if I had enough calories in my system

Personally, strict OHP is all about technique / how explosive you can be. What's helped me tremendously is keeping tight (closer grip, narrow stance, activating your core, and pushing through your balls : )...deep breath in, engage your core, activate your posterior chain, barbell to your chest, and explode up

Will try to get vid next time to show what my technique is like...

Edit: also, Mark Rippetoe's the GOAT. I think he's said Strict OHP is more important than bench, and I couldn't agree more...
Yeah best two cues for me on the strict press is squeezing the quads and glutes.

I read Mark Rippetoes full starting strength book, really good read. The only part I thought was odd was the importance he placed on lying tricep extensions. Dude was all about some tricep extensions.

Another great read was Kelly Starretts "Becoming a supple leopard". You can basically use it as a go to anytime you have muscle pain. Simply flip through the chapter that covers that muscle group, identify the tissue being affected through a few tests, and go to corrective movements to resolve said issue. A good reminder on how I need to spend more time mobilizing... as I sit at my work desk.
Appreciate 0