View Single Post
      08-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Let's talk laws... Anyone know if that stupid Ohio law passed?

I remember a while back there was a law in the ohio senate that basically made "any display of acceleration outside of the normal operation of a car" to be street racing, and your vehicle would be taken and sold.

I was called the Monica Durban law. Now, all articles I can see about it seem to just say it was "proposed" and none saying it "passed", but I did see some random person on a forum somewhere say it was passed but less restrictive than earlier.

Now let me make this clear. I am 100% AGAINST any sort of street racing whatsoever, and you deserve to have your car taken from you if you participate in that. But I am sure that in driving an M235i or M240i, I would at times accelerate a good deal faster than a "normal" car, say as I am entering the highway ramp, or turning onto a new street.

All I can find on the ohio books is:

Quote:
(A) As used in this section and section 4510.036 of the Revised Code, "street racing" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to out-distance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, wherein timing is made of the participating vehicles involving competitive accelerations or speeds. Persons rendering assistance in any manner to such competitive use of vehicles shall be equally charged as the participants. The operation of two or more vehicles side by side either at speeds in excess of prima-facie lawful speeds established by divisions (B)(1)(a) to (B)(8) of section 4511.21 of the Revised Code or rapidly accelerating from a common starting point to a speed in excess of such prima-facie lawful speeds shall be prima-facie evidence of street racing.
So to me, it seems like the only way you can get dinged for speed racing in Ohio is if they can show that you were racing for a time and other people were timing you. Now obviously I don't plan on doing that either, and if I wanted to, I'd just track my car.

Now there are those of you who may think I am being overly cautious here or being a worry-wart. You may be correct, but as this will be a 50k car and my first car worth over 4 grand, I'm a little nervous. It has me wanting to get a dull color and avoid a nice exhaust just to avoid any unwanted attention.

Are there any fellow lawyers or ohioans who can chime in here?
Appreciate 0