mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
The 997 is what 15 years old now? A car that was developed in the early 2000s should be all you need to know. I prefer my 991.2S, my 718 GTS and even my Macan GTS over either my M3 or M4 that I owned - they are fun at any speed whereas the M cars aren’t even really fun driving fast because you have to hear the god awful sound of the thing. I don’t get the feeling that the current M cars are special...at least not comparably. The old Ms had engines that were great when they were high revving but in the turbo world, they don’t do it for me.
Porsches current line up continues to be some of, if not the best, cars on the market.
I get it - you prefer Porsches and I would agree that the F8X cars from factory could / should sound better, but it's an easy fix.

However, the S55 engine is better than the Macan's or the 997.
More responsive, more power and revs higher.

You can't say that the F8X doesn't rev - it's got a higher redline than the Macan or the 997.
M4: 7,800 vs 997: 7,500 vs Macan: 6,800.

So when you say "The old Ms had engines that were great when they were high revving but in the turbo world, they don’t do it for me."
Did you even get it out of Efficiency mode?

The real point is that many Porsche fanatics have been disappointed with the 991 and some with the 992.
I know of a couple in my home town that have cancelled their orders on new 992's and are looking for 997 GT3's.

The 992 looks great, but it's no longer true to the 911's of old.
Appreciate 0