12-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #69
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
The S58 is very similar to the S55. It has all the same strengths (power, cooling, reliability) and fixed some of the weaknesses (crank hub, slightly improved sound) but its by no means compares to the change from a naturally aspirated S65 to forced induction S55. I'd be surprised if the S55 is eulogized, its effective but dull. Drive an E90 M3 back to back with an M2C, the M2C is numb and lacking soul by comparison and its literally the best BMW can cough up in this generation. I was sorely disappointed with mine for that reason (despite the fantastic chassis, diff, electronics) but perhaps I was expecting too much.
I think I've seen you post something similar elsewhere. You went the Porsche route, more power to you (there some things the Cayman does much better than a BMW).

I am not sure that I agree the M2C is the best BMW in this generation, IMO the state of the engine tune stock was not optimal, and I didn't like the lack of positive feedback from the front of the car. I liked the engine tune in the M2CS much better, it's similar (same?) to the M3 ZCP tune, a fairly linear one with a good top end.

But the M3/4 CS map is amazing (and the GTS one maybe even more so). And once you go Stage1 on this engine, it's just about perfect. IMO of course - and I've put my money where my mouth is.

I've owned a "purist-spec" E90 M3 for 6 years (slicktop, non-idrive, 6sp, EDC and 18" wheels) and profoundly loved the experience. Euro delivery, street, track you name it. But now I'm getting on 5+ years with the F80 chassis (split over two cars) and in my personal experience, you could not be further off.

The F generation cars are incredible performers and I would never go back to an E90 M3. Too heavy, too big. Were I to submit to nostalgia, I'd go for an E46 M3, it's a much smaller, nimbler and more fun car, with a very charismatic engine.

Just my take on it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 4
Montaver2135.50
CT_M31478.00
Tacoma944.50
TripleU170.00