12-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #75
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
The S58 is very similar to the S55. It has all the same strengths (power, cooling, reliability) and fixed some of the weaknesses (crank hub, slightly improved sound) but its by no means compares to the change from a naturally aspirated S65 to forced induction S55. I'd be surprised if the S55 is eulogized, its effective but dull. Drive an E90 M3 back to back with an M2C, the M2C is numb and lacking soul by comparison and its literally the best BMW can cough up in this generation. I was sorely disappointed with mine for that reason (despite the fantastic chassis, diff, electronics) but perhaps I was expecting too much.

And sure, any ICE engine compared to an electric appliance is going to be more interesting. But the feel and sound of a naturally aspirated big displacement engine beats turbos every time for driving enjoyment. For a daily driver don't get me wrong, turbos are great. The B48 in my 3 series is very impressive, torquey, responsive, refined, easy on fuel. Some folks will disagree on turbos muting the modern performance car experience and I understand that POV too. Certainly I applaud that BMW still make manual transmission 4 seater cars and they haven't lost that track on Sunday, take the kids to school on Monday appeal.
I think we’re being prisoners of the moment a little bit. I grew up in the 90s when nothing was more exciting than a turbocharged power delivery. All I wanted when I grew up was a Ferrari f40. Of course, I knew that was never going to happen, but a skyline GT-R with an 8k rpm TT I-6? Maybe someday I could own something like that...

Now everything is turbocharged, but that won’t last forever. Ten years from now, we’re not going to look back at 7500+ rpm twin turbo I6 engines with anything but nostalgia. Remember, the s58 has a lower redline thanks to it having to be mated to torque converters. There will of course be even more nostalgia for the s65 engine but my point is that what seems normal now won’t last forever.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2180.50